Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pray about Everything

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6, 7)


I do not think it would be an exaggeration to say I struggle, to one degree or another, with anxiety every day. It might begin at 3:15 in the morning when I wake up for some reason and I begin thinking about the day ahead or some problem for which no solution presents itself. Or it might hit me when I am trying to figure out what to wear or what to eat (two things Christ particularly tells us not to worry about). I might grow anxious when a certain project is not getting finished on time, and I certainly struggle with anxiety as Sunday draws near and the pulpit is in view. I know it is not very spiritual for me to worry about all of these things, and, well, there you go: I am just not all that spiritual sometimes, meaning I do not walk in the Spirit like I should but allow the flesh-y side of me to run me in the ruts of habitual anxiety once again.


The antidote? Pray about every doggone thing. It is not just a matter of praying when I grow anxious--that certainly would be the correct response, and often I will "catch myself" in the act of worry or fear and cry out to God. Again, that is just the sort of thing I ought to do, of course. But the Scripture above talks about something in addition to that. The kind of prayer mentioned here is not simply panic prayer or desperate prayer. Instead we are encouraged (commanded) to pray, give thanks, supplicate, present our requests in every thing that comes our way.


This is why it is so important to pray habitually about lots of the same things every day. Do you struggle with anxiety as I do? Then pray about it every day. Make it one of your daily prayers. Pray that you would be "anxious for nothing" in this day. Are there anxieties, fears, troubles between you and your spouse? Pray about it daily, before the day even gets rolling: "God, make the love between my wife and me grow and flourish today," or "Help me to control my tongue today and speak only words that build up when I speak to my husband." If we anticipate the day and the things that will likely be popping up in it, and we pray about those things, God will hear, and God will grant greater and greater peace (less and less anxiety) the more we pray. We can have confidence, the Scriptures say, that if we pray according to God's will, He will answer. After all, God wants you to love your wife or speak gracious words to your husband even more than you do. Why wouldn't He answer? And He certainly wants you to live in peace. The very fruit of His Spirit is peace. Prayer is the branch upon which it is borne.


"God, grant us peace. Teach us to be anxious for nothing and to pray about everything. We cast all of our cares upon You, knowing You care for us far better than our own worries can. Hear our prayers when we cry out to You in the midst of our troubles today, and run to our aid. Show Yourself strong on behalf of those who trust You yet struggle with fears and anxieties just the same. Fill us with Your Holy Spirit, and produce within us the peace that passes all understanding, we pray through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment